The Journey 2009
Pastor Kurt Gebhards
Key Text: John 15:12-17
*Five Rewards of friendship with Jesus Christ:
1. Access through the severity of His sacrifice
Romans 5:6-11--we are helpless, ungodly, sinners and enemies of God.
Isa. 57:15; 66:2
- Jesus has the power and inclination to help and benefit sinners.
- We have a tempation to really, really want Christ but not need Christ.
- We need to respond by love Christ with a weeping affection.
2. Upgrade from slave to confidant.
- God has transcending greatness yet He offers us His friendship.
1 Corinthians 4:1-2--we are still slaves to serve Christ.
3. Inclusion in the close council of God
- Jesus gives us access to the holy place, the throne room of God, through His blood.
4. Assured, affirmative responses to our prayers
John 14:13; 15:7; 16:23-24
5. Abiding fruit in our faithful effort
- We must be found able of Christ's appointment through His friendship.
1 Corinthians 3:6
- Planting and watering requires excursion.
**Each of us are as close to Christ as we choose to be.**
*Building my relationship with Christ involved reading the Word of God and communion with Christ in prayer:
- Reading: meditation
- Prayer: praying at all times 1 Thes. 5:17
- Reading: study plan; regularity
- Prayer: secret
- Reading: fellowshipping with the saints of God through the preaching of His Word.
- Prayer: believers praying with one another